fbpx

Availability and special offers – Find out more

Availability and special offers – Find out more

Availability and special offers – Find out more

The history of Pelham House

Pelham House is one of the most historically significant properties in Lewes. It was first built as a townhouse in the 16th century by lawyer and MP George Goring. Goring and his descendants lived there until it was sold in 1649 to Peter Courthope, who in turn sold it in 1653 to Sir Thomas Pelham of Laughton. 

After passing through the hands of several Pelham family members, the house was acquired in 1725 by Thomas Pelham of Catsfield, who funded a major refurbishment of the house, including the reorientation of the house to face north and its re-fronting in the late Classical style. 

The Pelham family ownership of the house ended with Thomas Pelham, 1st Earl of Chichester, on his death in 1805. Following this, the house changed hands multiple times through the years until 1928, when East Sussex County Council purchased it, remaining the council headquarters for over 75 years.  

The house was sold by East Sussex County Council in 2004 to a group of four families who converted it into a hotel and conference centre. In 2019, the owners embarked on a joint venture with Artemis Venue Services in order to transform Pelham House into the exclusive-use wedding and events venue it is today.  

Blending the venue’s history with contemporary style, Pelham House is now one of the most prestigious exclusive-use venues with rooms in East Sussex and within easy reach of Brighton and London. 

Find out more about Pelham House

 

Weddings

Picturing yourself walking down the aisle already? Then it’s time to make those dreams a reality.

WEDDINGS

Events

Find out more about what makes Pelham House so special and start planning your event.

EVENTS

Contact Us

Looking for more information about Pelham House? We would love to speak to you. Get in touch with us today.

CONTACT
BOOK A VISIT